Archive for May, 2010

final video

May 20, 2010
Advertisements

updated twins image

May 19, 2010

My problem with the previous animation – which i intended to be the final one, except for sound – was that the drawing at the end REALLY did not mesh with the rest of the video at all. So, I’ve made some changes.

I put the original drawing into illustrator and went over with the Live Trace tool, then filled them in so they’re only silhouettes. I’m hoping that this ought to make them more stylistically similar to the rest of the animation.

almost-final

May 18, 2010

I’m having a real stylistic problem with the drawing of the twins at the end of this video. I didn’t realize how much of a change it was from the cell animations; I thought that, being black and white, it would fit right in.

Unfortunately, that doesn’t seem to be true. I would remove them altogether, because I do really like how the cells look, but I think they need to be present in order to give the video context… I’m afraid to make it too abstract.

second draft

May 14, 2010

New Version

May 13, 2010

Lots of changes!!

While trying to re-think the animation, I decided to try and base it around the soundtrack I want to use: heartbeats. I’m going to try to have increasingly frequent heartbeats throughout, so I wanted to try to visually reflect those – both as a way to tie the visuals and sound together more, but also to allow me to break up each clip of cell reproduction.

Tests

May 13, 2010

I started playing around with the cells, trying to create different inkblot-like patterns with them. The trouble is that I don’t have the computer or Flash knowledge to get the cells to separate over and over again; it’s just the one time. Still, I think that these three examples look a lot nicer than the way I had previously tried.

experiment 2

May 10, 2010

Expanding on the previous animation, this got more complex than I could handle very quickly. I found that, in order to eliminate the original cell after a secondary split-off, I had to go back and delete the original animation just as the new one was beginning; that was fine, but the real challenge here is that the cells multiply so fast, which is really something that I ought to have anticipated.

In addition to the practical issues around making the animation this way, it just really doesn’t look how I’d like it to. There’s not enough of a pattern, it doesn’t look that great.. I’m going to have to think of another way to approach this.

experiment

May 8, 2010

post

This is just a little experiment with the new cell animations. I hadn’t considered that I’m going to have to find a way to get rid of the center dot left over after the secondary split , so I’ll look into solving that problem next.

Twins image

May 5, 2010

This is the image that I think I’m going to use at the end of the animation.

I might have to convert it into a vector graphic for it to fit in with the rest of the animation style, since this is the only aspect of it that’s actually drawn by hand.

first test w new cells

May 3, 2010

Here I’ve got two types of cell animation, displayed at different sizes. This is SO MUCH more what I had in mind when I was storyboarding this project! I’m pretty relieved I can go back to my inkblot plan.